Monday 2 March 2015

Designing the Map: The North

Here is a more detailed drawing of the North. I have annotated the map with screen shots from the documentaries I have been watching, inspiration I have been looking at and other things that I have subconsciously taken influence from that I feel give a good representation of the kind of atmosphere and appearance for the location I want. I did this so when looking at the map the audience can visualise each location and I don't need to complete concept for each one as this would take a great deal of time, and is unnecessary when I have so many beautiful locations already available to me that the natural planet has provided.

The North

The Tusk Ridge Mountains
This area will look much like the Himalayas, a long range of mountains that from above look like a elephant tusk. I designed this in "Osvaldr" (meaning divine power/divine ruler in old Norse) as it is where the creator lives in secret, in his physical form (a Mammoth).

Lochtown
This was simply meant to be a small fishing village built next to and on the Loch. These people fish for their living and bring it down to the other cities to trade for other products, weather they be food, medicenes, or new technologies.

Loch Moress
I named this huge Loch in a combination of Loch Morar and Loch Ness, both in Scotland and both with reported sightings of a monster living in the Loch. So it wouldn't be hard to guess, something lurks in these waters too....

The Lost Twin Lochs
These I used inspiration from Frozen Planet where I saw lakes forming in the ice in Antarctica, that then form rivers that carve valleys in the ice leading to the sea. I also found out about Waterfalls that freeze solid on this programme. So I combined these ideas and had a Loch in the ice, that leads to a frozen waterfall, with a Loch beneath that, so both Lochs contain the same fresh water, hence the name "Twin Lochs."

The Frozen Forest
This is another this I found on Frozen Planet that amazed me. Its a species of tree that can survive in sub-zero temperatures for months at a time, so the forest can be plunged under snow and look like giant snow sculptures, and still survive. This I felt was something that was so incredible that I really wanted to include it as part of the world, so I did in the form of somewhere that can provide shelter for travellers of the Eastern Pass and other settlers.

Gulbrandr Castle
This I knew would be where Bolon the Ice King lived. So his castle had to be menacing but secluded, as male Polar Bears are solitary creatures. I used inspiration from a design I produced for a previous university project, as well as some other menacing castles surrounded by mountains, as mine is. Conisedently, both these are designs for Dracula's castle.

The Eastern Pass
The Eastern Pass starts in the East, and moves across Northern territory via a part of the sea that freezes in winter (this was an idea from our creative consultant Greg Shakkleberry). The reason it is called the Eastern Pass, is it is a way for the eastern army to travel unnoticed to the heart of the North, past Gulbrandr Castle and to the Frozen Forest.

City of Volundr
This city was designed to much more of a viking/ medieval city. I wanted it to look like somewhere that belonged in Lord of the Rings or Skyrim, but more brutal. I had to be set on top of ice and snow and look like a place where life is tough. I choose cities near sea as mine would be, and wanted mine to look similar to the architecture I found in these designs.

Port of Engton
This is a location that was based on Britain, but due to the reduction of space in comparison to our world, has become a small port. It looks most like the river Thames location Sherlock Holmes (Guy Richie Version).

City of Britroft
This City was largely based of London 1800's - early 1900's, and mainly the look director Guy Richie gave it in Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Its far more mysterious, smokey, gritty, and dangerous looking.

Caisteal Island
" Caisteal" is Gaelic for Castle, hence the name for the place based on Eilean Dolan Castle. This I imagined as a place based fro a highland cow character who is Scottish and in kilt, but looking more warrior-esque. More like William Wallace in Brave Heart than the traditional kilt dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment