Monday 9 March 2015

Writing the Script

Previous scripts.
Here we had to decide on what comic to write. Previously, I had written four sixteen to twenty page scripts for some of the four main characters, planning to be approximately sixty pages each when story boarded. This, though the approximate length, I chose against using. The reason for this, is that I wanted something that could be a test piece. Like a pilot comic, something that can include the main characters, introduce the world, and has tense, action, and calm scenes. This was so we can display our ability to illustrate these scenes and use paneling effectively and differently depending on the scene, while telling the story.







Writing the script.
After Callum wrote new material for the comic at twenty one pages, he then gave it to me for editing. Realizing that the script was too long, I had to remove alot of its content, despite it being really well written and exciting stuff. I decided to focus on the first scene as I felt it was the highlight, introduced the characters and had a semi-conclusion. (At the end of the scene there is then a passage for a long time so it needed to have a end).



After condensing the work, I re-write elements to include one of the main characters (Ambam, highlighted in yellow). Once I read this a few times I realized something wasn't working about it. The character I included felt too forced into the story, and unrelated to the rest of the cast of characters and generally unnecessary. So I scraped it.


The second attempt went far better, and I was able to include more characters. The scene now has a more predominant ending, Ambam fits in better as someone goes and gets him (as he's the sheriff) to deal with the situation in the saloon. The vigilante is Sawyers friend rather than just another random character who happens to be there which gives all the characters a reason for being there instead of it all being by chance. Jenny works in the Saloon. Sawyer and Bill had been having a drink there before Sawyer tried to chat up Jenny. Ambam is told to go because of the fight, and Gustave is there because he's after Jenny's 'lucky feet'. I also re-wrote some of the dialogue for these characters and they would act and speak differently than the previous character who filled that space in the story (such as the sheriff tortoise is now a bounty hunter wolverine, both who tell Gustave to leave as they both want him taken to jail, tortoise for his job and the bounty hunter for the reward).


No comments:

Post a Comment