Thursday 27 November 2014

Thought Bubble: Research

Like MCM, while at Thought Bubble for PPP3, I also thought this would be a good time to get publishers and artists opinions of Sexism in comics. Here is some of my notes when asking they're opinions.


Richard Starkings on Sexism in comics.


"There’s not an answer.  My mum was a very strong teacher, my sister is a teacher for autistic children. So my female role models have always been very strong. I think the women in Elephantmen are strong characters. Strong women come in all forms.  As a man I like a certain appeal. Artists bring their own opinions to the table. I have been criticised before. All artists do differently according to role models they’ve had in the past. Look at Ripley in Alien, there's a strong female lead, not necessarily designed through the male gaze.

Artists have been drawing naked women since they were first taught to draw in life drawing. Hulk! Half naked muscular man, some people could consider that sexist.

“Always park your car in a different garage.” What’s important is passion about story. Industries have attractive and ugly characters. Tusk from Elephantmen is one of the most beloved but also very ugly. Nikki is sassy and sexy and very popular to a female audience for it. She’s relatable. I hope I'm good at portraying female characters." 


Eric Stephenson on sexism in comics.


"Comics have been historically been written for young boys. They're not sexist, to a young male audience attractive female heroes are appealing and therefore they help the comic sell and it becomes more successful. From a business standpoint it makes sense to include attractive female leads."


Cameron Stewart on if comics are sexist.


"Comics are defiantly sexist.  Absolutely.  Not maliciously, and it is invisible to some. Its getting more evenly split in audience and artists, but while that imbalance exists there will be sexism. It’s a male dominated art form. Batgirl New 52 has tried to combat this." 


Babs Tarr on the portrayal of women in comics, and if there is sexism in the industry.


"Improving.  There's a line between sexy and sexualized. Sexy is done without a male gaze.

As for in the industry, I have never felt isolated or looked down at. I have had a very nice team and editors. I have come across no sexism in the industry in that respect."

No comments:

Post a Comment