Tuesday 15 April 2014

Character Creation: Raccoon Part 6

By Callum Brown
Texturing the Character

After sorting out the problem that kept me from UV mapping I tried again, Meg had already managed to do a large part of this, however I still needed to do the head, hat, legs and boots. I did all of this with relative ease, selecting the edges, converting then to UV's cutting them and unfolding the mesh was all fairly straight forward. The most time consuming element was trail and error, making sure the colours match to where they should be. After taking the UV snapshot and saving it as a JPEG, I opened it in Photoshop and I inverted the image and put the layer on multiply, painting behind it and making the layer invisible before saving it as a JPEG, before opening up into Maya and assigning a new material and applying a new lambart, then finding the file and pressing 6 to view it. I then went into skin, bind skin, smooth bind to make him permanently smooth, and bind him to the skeleton and controls. I am tremendously happy with the model so far, he really looks like a 3D version of my drawing. However I have hit another  brick wall in the weight painting. After the selecting the tool, as I hover over the character and while the mesh stays intact, the colours all become a 2D mess on the wall. I've asked my tutor to help me and he requested I send the file to him, as he has not seen the issue before, I've attached a picture of the problem at the bottom and intend to post about how I fixed the issue when my tutor finds out what it is.










No comments:

Post a Comment