Friday 18 April 2014

Texturing the Environment

By Stuart Brown

After Meg had finished modeling the environment, which had just the cartoon vibe I hoped for, She provided UV maps for me to start texturing. I knew I wanted a cartooony/ comic look that was present in my concept art, but shading in a texture in a cross hatched way would provide problems, for example, if the light was pointing at the shaded side of the object, the cross hatching would stay and therefore look unrealistic. (By unrealistic, I mean that the physics of this stylized world are being jeopardized beyond the realms that are believable). To avoid this, I added black lines around the perimeter of geometric shapes within this environment, such as on crates and barrels, but not on the bare tree. Using this technique in this way allowed to create a comic and cartoon styled world, avoiding the shading issue.








The more these textures were added, the more the world came to life. some would be added and then studied to find mistakes, then re-done more accurately and sometimes changing were black lines went to fit this world. I am very happy with how this is looking, as it, in my opinion is even better than I imagined.





Overall I am very happy with the final result. I think that the textures really give a hand drawn feel to the scene, and they all match each other really well, extending the belief that this world can be one users can believe to be real in an imaginative way.  Next is time to take the scene into Unity and start modeling the floor and adding in the sky box so that the scene can be finished and finishing the characters will be the only thing to do before animating begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment