Tuesday 12 November 2013

BAF: Phil Gray

Phil Gray is the director of cut scenes of Tt Games who make the Lego franchise. I am a huge fan of these games, specifically Star Wars, Batman, and Pirates of the Caribbean,  (I was rather disappointed with Lord of the Rings, as I felt the game levels were boring and the open world difficult to explore). So to hear the production of Lego Marvel Superheroes made me ecstatic. I've been looking at videos on this as it development has continued, so was disappointed by the talk as they only showed videos I had already scene, didn't reveal anything new and one video was a spoiler of the ending and in french. This was a disappointing end to the day, but I am still very excited about the game, even though the talk didn't live up to expectations.
Lego Marvel Superheroes uses a Helli-carrier base, where characters can free fall jump down to a New York home base, but this is Marvel New York, with The Baxter building, Stark Tower, and The Os-corp Tower within. There is also opportunities to visit iconic Marvel places like Asgard too.There is also a huge amount of detail put into each character, each unique with their own moves and personalities. I think its a beautiful touch that a team who love the subject of Marvel outside of work have put such dedication into building these very full of life characters. Even the Big-figs are a nice new touch where the big muscular power houses are bigger than average characters, (like the Thing, pictured below.) Also shape shifting characters like venom can transform into this big-fig form at will, adding extra in depth character development.
Finally I'd like to add that the idea of Stan lee as a character is fantastic, as he has all the powers of the most popular heroes. My only criticism is that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby built this universe together, and its a shame he doesn't get the same credit, and I feel saddened that children playing this game wont be taught of his involvement. This is also apparent in the Avengers film where Stan Lee's name appears on the credits, but Jack Kirby's are no-where to be seen, even though he co-created all the characters. Nevertheless,  I am hugely looking forward to playing this game at the weekend when its released, and will have to review it at a later date upon completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment