Tuesday 13 January 2015

My Practical Element and Considering Synthesis to my Dissertaion - Part 6.


Final Designs

 Here are my final designs. Again when doing these there was a strong intention to make all the character look individual. I have always thought that in comics, the women tend to all look the same with different hair and a different costume. All their bodies and faces looked very similar. A part of inspiration for these characters were The main Avengers: Hulk, Captain America, Thor and Iron-man. All these heroes have different level of muscle mass, different personalities, different costumes, different hair, and even different styles. Captain America is the war film, Iron man the Action Film, Hulk the Monster movie, and Thor the Fantasy film. I wanted to capture this level of uniqueness to each character so that each one has different things to offer the audience. Arguably, SuperGirl still looks a bit sexy, but my defense is that she is not sexualised. Something else I found in my dissertation was something Babs Tarr said. "Sexy is okay. But there is a difference between sexy and sexualised, sexy is done without a gale gaze." And I certainly wouldn't say any of these characters are sexualised. But they are an all female group of heroes (like the four main Avengers are all male) that provide a different perspective on female superheroes, that I feel show that not all women in comics have to be sexualised, and can be designed to look cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment