Saturday 16 May 2015

Professionals I aspire to: Frank Miller

Frank Miller is an artist I have always wondered what it was that I liked about his work, as sometimes his drawings can look very disproportionate in the faces. In black and white I feel his work is stronger as it accentuates the use of lighting and shading which is one of the best parts of his work. However, I aslo think one of his strong elements that makes his work unique are postion, composition, page layout and angles. How Batman and Robin are drawn jumping between rooftops above the skyline shows the reader how dangerous they live and how 'super' they are for people with no powers. Even how after Elektra is stabbed and the rectagele of pink highlights the stab wound, and then to the right a long shot of her stubling feet and faling displays her weaking body. It is also shown how in Daredevil's flexibility and shots of him runing acroos the city landscape and how it becomes a part of the character.

As for my taste, I like cartoony styles but in my opinion a better colourist whould help his Batman and Daredevil work, with some more shading to style them in the way that make his Sin City work look so striking and original.



No comments:

Post a Comment