Friday 17 May 2013

J. Scott Campbell

 J Scott Campbell's artwork is without doubt my favouraite in comics. His unique style and fantastic orgional anatomany work is something to be admired. This eggagerated look could be frowned upon as sexist, but he dose also draw men as tall, muscualler, good looking heroes witch I feel balances out his simply idealsitc, or perfected veiw of anatomany. His style allows his proportions to be unrealtic, but keep within this belivable 'Comic book' rule that this logic can allow the reader to accept the anatomany as part of the stylised comic.

Also his poses and positioning of characters is a strong point of his, allowing the dynamic sequence pages to 'Jump out' at you with compostion that compliments the page.


At London Super Comic-con 2013, I was lucky enough to show him my work and gain feedback. As my favouraite artist, I was anxious to find out how he thought I could improve.

His critisims where extremly helpful. The first point he made was one wich no-body else had picked up on. Clothing. He advised that we look more closley at how clothes wringle and crease on poeple's bodies, even when their extremly tight like spandex. This point now seems so obvious to me that I can't understand how I thought it looked acceptable before.

This also goes for another problem advised no one else picked up on. The way I draw hair. he said it looked greasy, almost like dreadlocks. This was becasue I drew even strands, and evenly spaced gaps between them, where as most hair shold be free flowing, and drawn with various random strands to give teh illusion of many, (see his pictue top left).

J. Scott Campbells work has been an inspiration to me ever since I discovered it, and meeting him and gaining his perspective is a expeirence not only will I never forget, but one which I have learnt so much from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3hBNi6vbw



No comments:

Post a Comment