Tuesday 14 May 2013

Making a Tree


Before starting to create my final level I started by creating a tree in Maya to test my skills and to be able to use some new features of the program in order to develop my skills further. I used a cylinder as a starting point, and lowered the poly count as we were creating low poly games, and then started to extrude upwards to create the main tree trunk. I then selected different faces and extruded them further upwards in different directions to create the different branches.

I then moved onto the smaller branches which I simply added textures onto small planes so that they can be moved around and placed on the ends of the larger branches. During this stage I chose not to add leaves onto my tree as I wanted to use it in my own level, and having a tree with just branches added to the sense of fear in the level. During this exercise we also learned how to unwrap UV maps which was really helpful for the future if we are ever going to be texturing cylinders again.

No comments:

Post a Comment