Friday 21 March 2014

Moodboards

I decided the first step to making my character would be that she is female. So I made a character moodboard based on influential female characters in Sin City, the most being Nancy. This is beacuse she is described as 'the symbol' of Sin City, and what I want to do is re create this idea of a symbol as my character. so I looked at what made her stand out, being her beauty, unique cow girl costume, and selfless personality. I also looked at Miho, who is deadly and silent, jumping across rooftops I gained the idea my character could be some kind of vigilante/ hero. The image of Ava Lord and Miho (and general long coats in Sin City) make me feel she should have on also, that blows like a cape like Marv's, giving a nod to the superheroes in comics.


Here I looked at other of Millers work such as Batman, the Spirit, the Sin City movie, and even other artists who have tackled drawing characters from Sin City (such as J. Scott. Campbell) to get a further understanding of this type of world. I loved the way Miller draws Batman's cape to look like wings, which is something I would definitely remember when designing my character. I came up with the idea of basing my character on actress and rock star Taylor Momsen, so if she could be cast in a movie like a Sin City prequel, the character would already look like the actress, some the Sin City movie had to use a lot of prosthetics for to do this, such as on Mickey Rourke for Marv, Benicio Del Toro for Jackie boy, and Nick Stahl for That Yellow Bastard. I also liked the idea of her long hair, that could be tied back during crime fighting. I thought about the idea of putting this in colour like Goldie's, but remain unsure so it is something I will investigate. She also already dresses very provocatively and seems like someone who could be found in Old Town, so her photoshoots also provide inspiration for the costume design. My next stage is now starting to roughly design the character that is forming in my head.


No comments:

Post a Comment