Tuesday 20 May 2014

Art Work - The Thing

I wanted to illustrate The Thing in the same style that I had illustrated Thor in a piece on concept art for the VFX module that can be seen to the left. Here I wanted to knowledge the character in a more realistic way. So as a more realistic character in terms of personality in comparison to other superheroes I thought he should wear normal clothes, like a regular guy, similarly to how he dose in the game Marvel Nemesis. I also thought about as a explorer and traveller he should look a little more well traveled, hence the back pack.

I also considered the characters weakness. He is strong but if he needed to cut something he can't, so I
included a knife in his artillery. Also, though he is strong and near indestructible, there is little he can do from a distance against fro example a flying foe. So I decided he should have a gun of some sort, and since he is so strong it made sense he could carry a big weapon. I thought that maybe this could be in a  future where the other members of the Fantastic Four have been killed, so he made this weapon in their memory, (so it could have a grapple round to reach things far away, like Mr. Fantastic, it could project blasts of energy and grab thing similarly to Syndrome in the Incredibles, like Invisible Woman, and it could act as a flame thrower also, like the Human Torch.)

I was proud of this piece as he looks how I would like. I kept his blue eyes (and important feature of the character) gave him large rocks in places he doesn't need to bend and smaller one where he would, so in exaggerated realism this characters anatomy might work) and gave him braces on his trousers to age him and a cigar, as the character regularly smokes and its something I think he mode do more after the death of is team mates.


No comments:

Post a Comment