Thursday 8 May 2014

Game Art and Machinima: Weight Painting Problems and Solution Part 2

By Stuart Brown

After our original model had issues with being imported into Unity, The character of the Platypus had to be re-modeled again in a very short space of time. My role in this was to texture the model and finish the UV mapping. I took what was given to me and made some adjustments to make my process easier, such as sewing UV edge, widening some small areas which were actually larger faces, and planar mapping the beak and mouth.  


I then re-textured the model as quickly as I could but as similarly as I had done with the last model as I was very proud of it. The fact I had previously played with UV maps recently sped up this process and as I had already made a very similar texture this made it easier and quicker the 2nd time round, as I knew which brush to use and had an exact reference of colour to use from.


I then re went over some weight painting issues I found in the model to ensure it was perfect and ready to animate, again this was far easier a 2nd time round as I already knew how to fix some problems and which tools were best for which job.


I am very proud that this model has been re-completed so quickly and still looks in my opinion just as good as the first, which has as taught me along with my alien how to apply my learning to a similar model twice, and how much easier it can be having already done the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment