Sunday 18 May 2014

LSCC - Boom Studios

We (me and my brother Callum) recently went to London Super Comic-Con 2014 to get more feedback on our illustrations for comics. The following are reviews by various artists, writers, and publishers

Boom Studios are a comic book and graphic novel publisher who attended London Super Comic-Con and gave portfolio reviews.

In this review we had great constructive feedback. Looking back now I almost feel embarressed at the illustrations we showed, as I now could produce them so much better. But this is the beauty of getting professional feedback, we can improve on things we may not have noticed otherwise, such as the pen work. I have always cross hatch shaded my comic styled drawings, but now realising that if I use different techniques for different textures (from soft fur to rough denim) the characters can look far more 3 dimensional and exist in a more believable world. The pen work would also by thinner depending on the direction of the light source, and as there are no background this is hard to see, so next time I feel all characters should have backgrounds.

The other major point of feedback was that we should have pages next time, this is something we have heard frequently this year and is definitely something I want to work on over summer. Over all our work proved good enough to impress as she commented "saying that I really like these characters." This was a review that was very helpful and I learnt so much in such a small amount of time I am very happy we attended this event again.

A link for the review can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SK8ZjcG1XE


No comments:

Post a Comment