Monday 19 May 2014

Inspiriational Artists - J. Scott Campbell


As my favorite Comic Artist, J Scott Campbell may be the work I most admire of any practitioner. He has worked for Marvel and DC, produced his own comic series Gen 13 and Danger Girl, and now works mainly as a cover artist. His work may be very obviously overly sexualized but it is undeniably beautiful.  He has perfected anatomy skills to such a level it is truly outstanding and eye catching. I even love his way of drawing such expressionful eyes on his characters and can capture form in such a suspended but believable way the illustrations come to life and ooze character and personality.
He also sells his sketch books, his 'Rough stuff' books and making of comics to show how his skill develops and how he practices work. These show his skill of drawing before colourist alter the imagery, and though I love the colour I find his pencil work captivating as it shows raw unedited talent. His work not just on anatomy but on posture and positioning is great also, and how he uses body language to convey emotion and character is incredible to a perfected degree, which is very important in comics. 



I also wanted to mention Campbells two images of western characters as this is the area where my project I will start work on will be based. He uses a fine technique on clothing here also, something not often see in some work as it is often spandex. The flow of the material and creases are in all the right places, being tight and loose enough to be believable.

Though every image of Campbells I think is amazing, I do feel he is particularly better at illustrating women than men, as I think he has perfected his ability of female anatomy  and though there is no flaw with his men, for some reason his women seem superior. I admire this artist a lot and often look at his work as it influences my own, and strive to one day get my work to this standard. I feel very fortunate to have met this artist and LSCC 2013 and get his advise on my work

No comments:

Post a Comment