Monday 19 May 2014

LSCC - An Overveiw

I learnt so much from London Super Comic con largely because of the direct contact with industry professionals and their reviews of my work. This kind of honesty from them has been very for-filling and will help my work greatly, but not only has my openness for criticism helped my knowledge and understanding of illustration, but also the positive comments from such people has given me confidence in my work and projects.


My list of things to work on are as follows:

  • PAGES!!! Over summer I really want to produce pages of a comic to show my sequential storytelling skills.
  • Experiment with photoshop paint tools to improve on texture through colouring rather than just using the airbrush tool.
  • Don't colour to dark as the drawing losses detail.
  • Improve on line work to show texture of different materials rather than always use cross hatching, and help define lighting. 
  • Think about lighting more when drawing an image rather than always using reflective light on all elements and materials.
  • Think about the physics of clothing when drawing.
But this isn't all I learnt from London Super Comic Con. As I was thinking about my dissertation of sexism in Sin City and what I plan for 3rd year dissertation: Sexism in comics, I noticed that sexism is very much alive in the comic industry. And though upon both sexes, more so against women. The women do all look beautiful and have perfected unrealistic anatomy in work such as Jamie Tyndall's, but dose it really cause any offense amongst attendees and fans?

The women in attendance tended to dress as the more revealingly costumed super-heroines, and only a very select few were paid to be there. The most common characters to cosplay were Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Powergirl, and usually in the more revealing costumes they wear. No Spider-girls were present, perhaps one Invisible Woman, no Bat-woman or Wasp, and lots of Black widow in her tight leather outfit. So if comics are offensivly sexist, why do the women choose to dress as the skimply-clad characters rather than scientifically intelligent characters with unisex costumes such as Invisible Woman and the Wasp? I think both sexes seem to like comics the way they are, and the event was a celebration from fans of this medium and the most famous characters from them. Because from the event, what I gathered is that comics are sexist, but aren't offensively sexist like they used to be, when female characters were talked down to by men which is distasteful. They may wear tight outfits, albeit like the men, but they are more revealing than the men's costumes, but apparently fans prefer these costumes and find nothing degrading about being viewed that way, in fact, they seem to find it empowering and fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment