Thursday 8 May 2014

Game Art and Machinima: Animating Problems

By Meg Sugden

During the process of Stuart animating we ran across a very strange problem where the geometry was not attaching to the rig or skeleton. We appeared to have yet another problem and I spent most of the time this morning thinking of a solution when I noticed that we had two sets of geometry, rigs and skeletons. This really confused me but then I remembered that when creating the environment I had used the raccoon model as a reference for creating the environment so I could check the sizes of the objects. I deleted this but we still had the problem that the rig was not attached and the platypus was just stood in its original pose in the middle of the environment.


At this point we were very confused and didn't know what to do so we just decided to reopen the project, and to our surprise the model was back and was rigged just fine. Stuart continued to animate and we got half way through doing this, but I wanted to test the animation so far in Unity to check it was still working. I took the folder and opened it on my computer and we encountered the same problem again. So once again I had another look and noticed the the platypus had a strange input from the raccoon model which appeared to be the source of the problem. I trailed through the Hypergraph Connection's menu to try and locate the abnormality and eventually managed to find the influence from the raccoon model which I deleted. We then reopened Maya and our rig was back on the skin of the platypus and was moving correctly with the entire animation still in tacked. I once again tested in Unity and found that it was working perfectly. I was so happy that I managed to find the solution to this problem as it was me that created it in the first place technically. But I'm just happy that the model is no working correctly in Maya along with Unity.


No comments:

Post a Comment