Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Avengers: Costumes by Alexandra Byrne

When Thor first appears, he is seen bare arms with his cape, referencing his classic look. I liked this costume as it contained all the bright colours a super hero costume should and gave the Avengers all a updated costume (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk) that still looked straight out of a golden age comic. I think, however his trousers still look rather strange and padded.
 
“ Thor’s new sleeveless was to achieve a less-armored look for the conversational scenes between the Avengers. The look also takes a cue from the comics and works well with Chris Hemsworth’s incredible physique. His muscular arms are the iconic statement of Thor, and the discs and red cape are the iconic statements of the costume”. – Costume designer Alexandra Byrne.  Page 139. - The Art of Marvels The Avengers.


This I think is key in any Thor costume. These are the essential parts that make up the characters appearance, and I feel that with any of these elements missing, said costume couldn't be his greatest. That said, I still like that they referenced his Ultimate Thor look while on the Helicarrier, as I feel the cape might not look quite as heroic indoors during mostly dialogue scenes, and still works for the action scene with Hulk.


Finally there's his costume for the final battle for New York. This resembles his look in his own movie and that of his Thor: Reborn costume. I think this look is possibly the best of his costumes seen to date, as it uses bright colours, (and those signature to Thor.) It also uses high shoulder pads (that I'm a great fan of,) and the red under his gauntlets that match the cape. It is interesting and yet simple enough, and all colours correspond well and are spread throughout the costume. the only ones which don't are the the silver metallic look on his shins, that although are there aren't quite predominant enough I feel. This is a very tiny flaw though, and as a transition from comic to film so far, Thor has become my favorite superhero, and much is that is thanks to his near perfect representation in film.

With Thor: The Dark World releasing in Cinemas tomorrow, I feel this could better even his brilliance in Thor and The Avengers. Although I doubt it will be better than the film Avengers in terms of film, I think his character and costume may improve.


Loki's costumes I think improved massively in this film. His armored look, like the concept art suggested, is much less cluttered and looks godly and could provide actual protection.

His normal clothes however are the best I think Loki's ever looked. I think he suits being less armored, as the coat is simply too good to just cover up. he still has gauntlets and armor covering his legs and shoulder, its simply minimal and I think more effective. He looks more threatening and mischievous in this costume, perhaps because the big helmet can look a bit silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment