Sunday 27 October 2013

Thor: Ages of Thunder by Matt Fraction & Patrick Zircher

Thor: Ages of Thunder collects Thor: Ages of Thunder, Thor: Reign of Blood, and Thor: Man of War. The book uses short stories are heavily based on the Norse mythology of Thor rather than The commonly seen Marvel Thor. He isn't heroic and well mannered, he is arrogant, brutish, enjoys violence and has no regard for the devastation he causes, even though he is saving the day. He is spoiled, a bully, and too powerful for his own good, and eventually rebels against the all father Odin.

This is a very original take for Thor, Matt Fraction writes the titan as a belligerent and pugnacious, which is very enjoyable to read. I also like how this tales the tale of how where Thor is depicted as he was in Norse mythology, and I have longed to read Thor in a graphic novel, rather than just in comics, and honestly I can't imagine it getting better than this. My only criticism would be that the art changes rapidly in various styles. I dislike it when comics do this, as it distracts from the story and the characters sometimes look different. To me its like having different actors take over character roles randomly in a film.

 I adore Thor's costume in this series. It has a lot of influence from The Norse Mythology Thor (which relates to the stories,) but keeps the signature Marvel elements of the character, for example, his long blonde hair, discs on the chest area, shape of the hammer, and his signature red cape.

I prefer the image on the right, (where he's flying,) because I think the belts look too much on the chest piece. As far as I can see that appears to be the only difference between the two. That and it is made of darker mustier tones than the opposite's bluer colour scheme.

Image by Patrick Zircher

No comments:

Post a Comment