Saturday 26 October 2013

Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers by Esad Ribic

This illustration by Esad Ribic uses the characters original costumes but in a softly painted style, which reminds me of of an Italian renaissance painting, or that of Alex Ross. I think this is a huge improvement from the Kirby drawings, but I have complicated feeling about the piece. I'm not a huge fan of the costumes, its not that I dislike them, I just find them rather plain and uninteresting, but somehow find myself in awe of the image. I think its the hints at the golden age of comics comes through but in such a beautifully, detailed and very well produced piece where you can just see the care and dedication gone into creating it.

This piece is used for and Loki spin off comic, where he has defeated Thor and is ruler of Asgard, and for the animated series Blood Brothers, for which there is a link provided. This animated short series used Esad Ribics art and an animated style identical to his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjXO_rNblA4


No comments:

Post a Comment