Thursday 23 January 2014

Editing: Adding Snow


In this scene, although it was ment to be Alspheim, Some feedback I got from the interm crit wast that I should up the visual quality and production value of the first scene, as in comparison to the other scenes it was weak. So I decided to get round this I transformed this into Jotunheim, the Icy cold realm. I did this as it allowed me to use more visual effects, and I think that this realm is far more famous and reconcilable than Alspheim, and also it looked better and more other worldly.

To do this, firstly I had to make the place look blue, and much more lifeless. So I created a new blue solid, and used different blending modes. I used one with multiply, one with soft light, and one with hue to get rid of so much greenery, this however turned the people black and white and the cape bright blue, so I had to key much of it out and around people and use different effects.

After I was happy with this, I started to look at how to create snow. I looked at a tutorial (link here:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4radbmwqvBc but I found it didn't help as much as I had hoped. I used trapcode particular to create the snow, but needed to increase the winds and direction of the snow for different shots, for example, a low angle shot would look different to a wide landscape shot. This also differed the amount of snow (close up shots would have less snow) and the blend them in I used random size, opacity over life (where you draw a graph on,) lowered the all together opacity, and the speed of the snow. If I had more time, I would look further into using a snow flake as a texture rather than simply a sphere, and the velocity to be more volatile and aggressive, as I feel though its difficult to notice but I don't think the snow always matches the wind pattern seen in Thor's cape. Other than these two points, I am extremely happy with the footage and am glad I investigated a new type of software to use as I think using this has definitely improved the visual quality and production value of this scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment