Sunday 19 January 2014

Editing: Non Diegetic Sound

When looking at sound, I was confident I wanted to look at the Thor 2 soundtrack. I think the Avengers soundtrack is too iconic and well known, and I much prefer the soundtrack in Thor 2 by Brain Tyler to Thor 1 by Patrick Doyle. This said, both are fantastic sound tracks. I looked at the Thor 2 trailer music (Helios) track 1 (intitled Thor: the Dark World) track 14 (The invasion of Asgard) and track 21 (The beginning of the end.)

Track 1: Thor the Dark World. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLj-ZBzE8sI

This one I like because of its scale of epicness. It fells and sounds like a huge scale of awe and still grasps that sense of excitment and action you want from a superhero movie.

Track 14: The invasion of Asgard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hvaGkKfUI

I like this one of its tense and edge of seat excitement feel, you can tell its made of an action scene, and contains a huge amount of suspense. It seems to have an element or creepy aspect to it, perhaps to show the expressionless dark elves as scary, and while I love the score I feel it dosen't really shout THOR at me, so for a 1 minute film it might not correlate well alone.

Track 21: The beginning of the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_7r2Fa78Y

This piece seems very dramatic. Its suspense, fear, and drama, but while I like this track I'm not sure it suits an 1 minute action scene.

AudioMachine - Helios (Trailer music.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5KFjUTo2CE

I love this track, it suits the trailer pefectly, but if listened to the actual exciting part dosen't last long enough for my film, and while the build up is awesome it sounds like the accompanying visuals should be of huge beautiful landscapes and set peices, I think it suits the trailer perfectly but perhaps not a short film.

As all these tracks are fantastic but don't suit my film perfectly, I think I will create my own by cutting them up while watching my footage to ensure that the timing is in perfect correlation to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment