Thursday 9 January 2014

Shoot 2: Evaluation + Photos

Evaluation of Filming  –  Shoot 2 – Green Screen Scene

While planning this, I had to first plan the backdrop. After looking at various volcano and  lava footage, (to use as the realm Muspelheim) from looking at action films like Mustafar (Star Wars Episode 3) to Mordor (Lord of the Rings) and disaster  films like Volcano and 2012, I started looking at documentaries. I looked into Planet Earth, where although the cinematography and filming is incredible, I found not the footage I wanted. It was when I stumbled upon Michael Masset’s incredible  venture into a volcano to film a lava lake I found the perfect footage. I got in contact with Masset to ask his permission for me to use this film, and after he allowed me to use this footage, I moved on to the next stage of this scene.





As the Studio Theatre was so difficult to book out, I decided to shoot after Liam’s shoot on Tuesday the 10th of December 2013, at about 6:00 till 8:00pm.  I booked out the equipment and choreographed the fight before hand, and went over the storyboards so my actor and crew were ready and knew exactly what to do before shooting.

This went very well, and as the green screen was not long enough, we improvised at attached it to the wall to give maximum width and height. We did a two takes were the choreographing mixed up, but this was expected. Another that was okay, and usable, and a fourth that went very well apart from finishing a bit early. I was happy with this footage, but thought I should try to make sure it’s perfect, and do another for safety. This is when upon the weapons clashing, one shattered on set, and as we had the footage we needed, I decided to call it a wrap and tidy up. We got all this done and tidied away within 15 minutes, proving choreographing really did pay off. I glued the prop as soon as I got home, and the next day picked up extra spray paint which resulted in a finish that looked even better than it originally did, but left the prop much more fragile for the next shoot.



No comments:

Post a Comment