Sunday 19 January 2014

Editing: Scene 3

This scene I will use to complete my VFX breakdown, as it was by far the most complicated. Firstly, I filmed against a green screen that needed to be taller than college could provide a frame for, so I had to pin it to a wall, meaning my lighting would not work as effectively (as I was going to light through the green screen to gain almost natural silhouettes) where as now, harsh shadows are visible.
The next stage was to cut them out and put them on the background, meaning that each frame had to be individually key framed in the mask path to give them a junk mask.
I then set the screen colour to green to remove the green screen, and I looked at the screen matte and adjusted the black and whites to silhouette the characters. Now as the green screen was not lit properly, the characters have holes in (where the characters also have green in the costume and also where there is reflective material, the silvers in the weapons and costumes, that reflected the green and lit them up too much.)
The next stage was to add black solids animated behind them to cover these areas. I also had to remove the weapons and make duplicates on photoshop to animate in and these were simply too beyond fixing. I also made the background bigger as I had feedback it looked too much like a lava lake (which it is) and the angle wasn't quite working.



 Then, there is a bit in the choreography that has Loki shoot something at Thor, who deflects it. Originally, this was going to be a blast of power/energy, which I changed as I realised this would light the figures up which would result in a very strange contrast in silhouetting. changing it to a sharp blade that shoot at his enemy is a change I feel is perfectly fine as Loki commonly uses throwing blades anyway.
 And finally, at the end of the scene Loki is ment to push Thor down just before they teleport, but as the staff broke on set we didn't get a chance to film this, so I animated their arms to go down a fraction on a second before their whole bodies. I added motion blur to this and when the film plays I am very happy with the outcome. I also added a red blur around the characters to sit them in the scene better, which wast done by duplicating the layer, and the below/behind layer being made ever so slightly larger and more feathered.


No comments:

Post a Comment